Followers

Monday, May 23, 2011

Drawf Sculpture Assignment

Dwarf Sculpture

            This assignment is connected to the Customized Dwarf assignment. Since I finished my Distortion drawing early my teacher assigned me to make a 3D version of my dwarf out of plasticine. The grade 10s in my class got the assignment to make a sculpture of their dwarf first. Everyone in class thought it looked really fun so, my teacher assigned it as our new assignment.

            I had to start out by drawing sketches of my dwarf. The side view, front view, and the back view. Once I was done, I started using the plasticine. The plasticine needed to be softened before able to mode. I have to need it in my hands. The heat from my hands transferred into the plasticine and made it soft enough to work with. Once it was easy to us I started forming the shape of the head. Since my dwarf’s head was more of a rounder shape, I rowed the plasticine in to a spear. After, I added the side parts of the hair and the bangs. By doing that is helped form the shape of the face for my dwarf. It was hard making the hair because I would dent the face in if I pressed to hard.

Once I finished forming the hair around the face, I made the neck and shoulders of the dwarf so that the head would have something to support it self with. With the neck and shoulders done, the sculpture was easier to hold. I decided to do the rest of the hair for the back part of the dwarf.
            The hat for the dwarf was next. I attached a longer piece to the top of the head and started molding from there. To make it look like the hat was on the head, I put a rim around the space between the head and the edge of the hat. I smoothed it out so that it would blend in together and look like it’s on the dwarf’s head.  Once I had the shape I wanted I added the pom-pom at the tip of the hat. It was difficult to place it on because it wouldn’t stick easily together and it was hard for my fingers to smooth them together so that it would look like it was together as one piece.
            When I finally got the basic things of my dwarf done I started adding details like, the face and the details on the hat. I decided to start with the hat because then I wouldn’t have to worry about destroying the face. I added a pair of teddy bear ears and a nose. I blended out the rough edges to make it look like it was attached to the hat. After I was happy with the hat, I moved on to working on the face.








I rolled out two even spheres and put it in the place where the eyes are supposed to be. I pointed the ends out to make it look like a real eye. After, I put a smaller sphere into the center of the eyes to create the pupil. I added eyebrows next to complete the top part of the head. For the nose I rolled an oval shaped piece and placed it in between the eyes. After, I made the mouth by carving it into the plasticine of the head. I decided to carve it because I didn’t want to add extra plasticine and cause the lips to stick out. When I was finished with the face, I used my fingers to smoothen it out. It was difficult because my fingers had a hard time fitting into tight spaces. Once it was smooth, I completed the sculpture by adding the finishing details to the clothing, for example, the buttons on the collar of the shirt.

            I am happy with my work and by doing this assignment it gave me a chance to practice my sculpting skills. It was a fun task but more challenging then I thought it was going to be. I can’t wait to try doing it again so that I can see my improvement.   



No comments:

Post a Comment