Followers

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dwarf Assignment

Customized Dwarf
Before I started on my customized dwarf, I watched the movie “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”. By watching the movie it gave me lots of ideas.
I started by thinking of the type of dwarf I wanted to do. In the movie each dwarf had a different personality.  In my head I had different ideas of personality for my dwarf like, a cool dwarf, cute dwarf, smart dwarf, nature loving dwarf, or a goofy dwarf. I ended up deciding on a cute dwarf because I wanted to make my dwarf a girl. I decided to make it a girl because I thought that since all the dwarfs in the movie were guys, why not create a girl dwarf.


I named her Lucy because I thought that it suited her and it was a cute name. I was going to name her cutie but, it didn’t sound proper to me. When I started to design her, I didn’t know what she should have worn. Blow you can see the different ideas I had for her outfit. I decided to go with the clothes that matched with the seven other dwarfs.

I designed her outfit so that there were some similarities to the original dwarfs. Both my dwarf and the originals have similar hats, nose, button up collar, buckle belt at the waist, and a patch found somewhere on the clothing. To make my dwarf cute, I added teddy bear features to the hat, a puffy dress, bows, and Lolita style shoes (Lolita: A fashion style originating in Japan that is Based on Victorian clothing and costumes from the Rococo period.)

Original Dwarf

My Dwarf

After I Got an idea of how she was going to look, I started to draw different positions of her doing different expressions and poses.
Positions

Basic Layout

  I drew different emotions for my dwarf. I started out with a normal picture of my dwarf standing up so that the whole body could be seen. It is the one furthest to the left. The first one was a drawing of her showing “I love you”, the second shows her laughing, third is her crying, fourth is her being surprised, and finally the last one shows her curiously looking at a butterfly. I had an empty space that wasn’t big enough to fit another emotion so, I drew some of her clothing.


I had some difficulties drawing the dwarf’s fingers and faces.  The fingers for the “I love you” emotions were hard because I had to make it look like it’s forming a heart. Drawing the other hands for the other emotions was also difficult but I managed to get it looking the way I wanted it to. For the faces, I had a difficulty drawing them to make it look like I was still drawing the same person. Sometimes the head would have been to round or too pointed like an anime’s face. Overall I still liked how everything turned out. If I were to change anything it would be to have organized the space more so that I could have fitted an extra emotion in.


No comments:

Post a Comment